Wednesday, July 07, 2004

How could we make this more difficult?

God knows I hate to bitch about anything, but I'm scheduled to leave this fair country in 9 days, and I have yet to get the Certificate of Eligibility for my visa. The Company--as it will be referred to from here on out--assures me that this is no problem. I don't see how this could be viewed as, "No problem." Assuming that I have anything resembling a grasp on the workings of emigration, it seems clear that I need to have a visa in order to live and work in another country. They assure me that I should have the Certificate of Eligibility in hand by this Friday, at which point I have to call them to let them know that I got it. Then on Monday I've got to hightail it down to Miami to make a visit to the Japanese Consulate to drop off the CoE [as it's referred to in the business] and then proceed to wait around two days for them to just put a stamp in my passport. This puts me in Miami from Monday until Wednesday. My flight leaves Thursday...

When I asked the Company what the worst case scenario would be if, say, it took the Consulate more than the expected two days to stamp my passport, they told me that I would have to just change my ticket for the next day. Change my ticket? The ticket is NON-REFUNDABLE! [see previous post] I've already called the company once in a panic because I couldn't find my itinerary on their website [and I fear I really offended a man who was calling himself "Steve," although I'm not too sure how popular the name "Steve" is in India]. I can't call them again and try to sweet talk them into changing my departure date without getting charged out the wazoo. [I don't believe that those customer service reps don't make little comments in the files about the nasty customers. I worked in customer service, and believe me, I left comments all over the place!]

So instead of having 8 days to get out of my house, I now have 4. That's nothing. That's no time. Right now I feel like I could sleep for 4 days. I'm really quite stressed about it. But am I packing right now? No. I'm bitching... How unlike me.

2 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As coroner--
I can aver---
I've thoroughly examined her!--
Not only is she really dead!--
She's really most sincerely dead!--


This is a day of independence!
For all the munchkins and their descendants!

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen-
Thanks foe the note. Unfortunately, Ann wasn't at the office. If you want, call me and leave me a voice mail. Otherwise, good luck and take care.
MVF

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


wood tobe coburn