Monday, July 12, 2004

Yeah, the cats...

Today my cats and I parted ways. My truly wonderful friend S. [& her partner in crime, S.] took them off my hands. Of all the things that I need to get done before I leave, I sincerely didn't think much of giving the cats away to their new owners. That is until it was time to do it.

In preparation, I cleaned the shitbox, the tent that covers the shitbox [necessary, of course, in order to provide my feline companions their much needed privacy], and the transportation device, i.e. the kitty cage. When the cleaning was finished, I was drenched with sweat, covered in what I assumed to be a fair amount of tiny flecks of cat shit, and really starting to feel hungover from the night before.

S. and S. showed up and the transfer began. I think in explaining the role I play in the lives of my cats I came out looking like a terrible pet owner. More of a warden, really, than a loving, caring mother-type. For the most part, I would say that this is true. I am not the loving, caring mother-type when it comes to my cats. They annoy me, aggravate me, and make me sneeze and itch. However, when the Shits McGee got into the box and I walked the box out to the car, I was truly shocked to find that it was all I could do to not start crying hysterically. When I picked up Nigel to put him into his box, he gave me a familiar hug and licked my shoulder. Again, all I could do to not start weeping.

After the cats were gone, and after I had calmed down, I started thinking that I was a horrible, selfish person for not only owning cats who I ignore, but for taking a job that requires that I give said cats to friends so I can romp around the world. That feeling turned into a feeling of utter dread regarding this decision to move to Japan. I keep telling myself [and others] that it will be fine, that I'm making the right decision, that everything is great, but what if I'm wrong?

The cats have been gone for about four hours, and I don't feel any better. Maybe it's all the crying, but I feel incredibly empty. When they're here, I take them for granted, push them away when they want attention because they make me itch, and sometimes forget to feed them. Now that they're gone, I miss them terribly. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that when it comes to my cats, I'm just like every ex-boyfriend I've ever had.

2 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mew Mew Mew... we miss you Mama!
We went by the house and you weren't there! You bed was gone and our box and toys were gone. We're hungry and we don't know where you are or when you're comming home. Meow! Meow! Meow! We'll sit in the window looking for you until you get home... Bye Mama Bye.. we love youuuuuuuu mew.. mew.. mew...
your cats

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's the 21st! where are you !!?? you are not yet gone! p l e a s e be careful!! and have fun ( -:

and volley ? ( -:"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


wood tobe coburn