Sunday, August 15, 2004

One month and one (important) visitor down...

Because it's been raining all day, I had to take my laundry to the local laudromat. I hope I've figured out the machines correctly. I had to buy detergent here, and two boxes came out of the machine so I figured that was a sign that I'm supposed to use both. Hopefully I was right. I would hate to break out in hives or a rash because I used too much cheap Japanese detergent.

Since it rained all day, the temperature has dropped a little over 10 degrees Celcius. [not sure exactly how much that is, but it feels great!] Because the weather is suddenly so nice, I've been sitting outside attempting to play Super Mario Brothers on my computer while waiting on the laundry. Wonderful W. has found it in his heart to give me a shitload of old nintendo (and super nintendo) games. Of course, I can't make it past level 3--that's right, THREE!--on Super Mario Brothers. How could I play this game when I was young? I keep jumping at the wrong time, or hitting the forward button instead of the jump button... I'm not sure if it's my reaction speed that has slowed, or the fact that I'm using keys on the keyboard instead of a joystick, or if it's just that my memory is shot and I can't remember which keys I'm supposed to be hitting, but I can't play this game anymore. [However, as far as memory goes, it's interesting to note that I do remember where the hidden extra life mushroom is on the first level.] So, I guess, if anything comes out of my stay here in Japan, I will be able to reconnect with my youth and beat Super Mario Brothers (again). Considering how I'm playing, and my current patience level, I might never get past level 3.

It's probably a good thing that I've come to Japan alone, because with W. here, it has been proven to me [yet again] that I just can't be around anyone exclusively for any length of time, and it doesn't matter how much I care about them. I would not do well stranded on a desert island with someone. In my defense, my apartment is tiny. Granted, it's about large enough for one person, and, luckily, that person just happens to be me. Any amount of time in my apartment [even if I'm the only one there] is a lot of time considering how small the room is. When another person is added to the square footage [or tatami mat], it gets even worse. Of course, W. took all of this quite well. He seemed to enjoy being in a cramped room with me, so much so that despite my complete lack of patience and all around shitty mood, he's going to come back in four months. This next time, we're going to spend a little bit of time apart... Really, it's for the best. I can't wait.

In commemoration of my first month, I'm going to get some edammame at the local grocery store and attempt to make them edible. Really, it's just an excuse to use Crazy Jane's Mixed Up Salt [substitute].

One down, eleven to go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


wood tobe coburn