Sunday, August 01, 2004

The tofu that cried chicken

Last night I learned that it is not exactly proper to describe sake as, "oishii." I also learned that it is possible for a bartender to make a Stoli madras, but that doesn't mean it will taste good. For some reason, I prefer the taste of orange juice from concentrate with my vodka, and fresh squeezed--by the bartender himself!--just makes it taste a little strange.

I went out drinking with my manager and head teacher. Now I really feel like an alcoholic. They were both drunk after two beers, whereas I didn't even have a buzz after a beer, a large cold sake (which came out of a huge chunk of bamboo) and a large hot sake. By the end of the night, my head teacher could barely walk and I was just starting to feel a little drunk. I had to come all the way to Japan to drink someone under the table.

My head teacher's boyfriend is the equivalent of a Japanese gangsta. He didn't speak much English, but he knew enough to say, "I like Hip Hop!" and rattle off some names... They wanted me to teach them some American slang and the best I could come up with was, "shit-faced." He told me that he was, "fresh," and I'm so out of the loop as far as that stuff goes that I couldn't even tell him if that was still current slang. [I'm inclined to say that it's not.]

It's confirmed. I'm an old alcoholic.

The tofu dish that they ordered for me had huge chunks of chicken in it. My head teacher said, "Just don't eat the chicken," as she dished it out onto my plate. I couldn't refuse. It wasn't bad, per se, it was just awfully salty. Why does flesh always make everything so salty?

Incidentally, my stomach is all kinds of fucked today. I'm not sure whether to blame the fresh squeezed orange juice or the chicken... My money's on the latter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


wood tobe coburn